Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Butterfly's Wings Can Start Tornadoes

This is an old entry that I wrote while at work one day and haven't posted yet. It's actually over a month old. Enjoy.

It has been said that a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step, therefore it could be said that the journey to becoming who (or what) one wants to be could begin just as easily. With one step.

Thinking of things that way makes me realize just how many journeys I have to take, and how many steps I've taken toward each goal.

The journey toward my PhD began with the step of purchasing a book, the next; registering for a GED assessment, and eventually, taking the test. More steps were taken when I registered for college and earned my certificate. Then, the steps I'm currently taking, earning my bachelors degree and researching ways to improve my chances of getting into the grad school I'm hoping for.

My journey toward overcoming BPD also began with a book, then more research and the realization that this (unlike cutting and other addictions I've battled) is not something I can beat on my own. I then straightened out my insurance and found an office that accepted it, made an appointment, went to the appointment where I made more that I have continued to go to.

Some journeys seem to be never-ending, or I seem to take twice as many steps backward as I do forward. Such as in my journey to be what I want physically. Although I am no where near my goals, I am nonetheless proud of the small steps I have taken toward those goals.

2 comments:

  1. Remember that those steps backward are really steps forward - it's a trial and error type thing. Great job on all of those steps you've taken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Kate, and you're absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete